Whooo is God? An Autumn Family Bible Adventure
Gourds: God Loves Us and Made Us to be Unique
Intro: Have you noticed any gourd decorations? Do you enjoy seeing them? Do you get as excited over gourds as you do pumpkins?
Thoughts to Ponder: Imagine what life would be like if you were a gourd. Do you think you would be jealous of all the attention the pumpkins get? Do you think that would make you want to be a pumpkin? Do you think gourds add a little extra beauty to the fall decorations we see?
Prayer: Thank God for all the fall beauty He created and that He didn’t just give us one beautiful fall things, but that the pumpkins, leaves, gourds, and fall flowers together make a wondrous reflection of the beauty of God. Thank God that He creates unique things, just as we are also uniquely made.
God likes variety!
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.” 1Corinthians 12:4-6 ESV
God gives to each of us uniquely, as he sees fit.
“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[c] and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents,[d] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability…” Matthew 25:14-15 ESV
Even though we are all different, we are all important.
For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us…” Romans 12:4-6 NIV
An Interesting Fact: Did you know that in Jonah 4, it is believed to be a gourd that grew and provided shade for a hot, complaining Jonah?
- What makes you unique and special?
- Take a minute to go around to each member of your family and tell them why they are special to you. Thank them for the unique things they offer your family.
- Use gourds to decorate your home this fall.
- Take some extra time to make a more involved gourd decoration–a vase, a bird feeder, or perhaps a Christmas ornament. The extra time and care can serve as a lasting reminder of this lesson!
- Watch an episode of Veggie Tales and look out for the gourds.
Spread the Love:
- Gather up some gourds and give them to an elderly neighbor or someone who could use some cheering up…just because it’s a nice thing to do!
- Make a card for someone thanking them for the unique things they bring to your life!
Check out the gourds on my Fall Pinterest Board for more ideas.
Check out other family Bible Adventures here!
Please share your gourd adventure thoughts below…