Welcome to Day 1 of the Luke 10:27 Challenge! I’m so happy that you have decided to join me as we strive to find joy in the journey of change and reaching our goals. While we may all have different goals in mind, we set our smaller goals with the ultimate end goal in mind–being able to love God with all of our hearts. We want to hear Jesus say…
Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” Matthew 25:23 NIV
In order for that to happen, we must focus in on our hearts, souls, strength, and minds. It’s the journey of a lifetime, one that we will spend our whole lives trying to achieve. Today we take a closer look at our hearts. We look at all the things we love–the things that really get our heart pumping, so to speak. We take a look at our treasures.
The Treasures of our Heart
Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” Matthew 6:21 NLT
- Make a list of what your treasures are. List the people, places, and possessions that you really love.
- Ask yourself what you would happen if any of those treasures were taken from you. Spend a few minutes actually imagining what it would really be like. Don’t rush through.
- Were any of those treasures more important than God? Would losing any of them cause you turn away from God?
- Think of tangible ways you can show that you love God more than all the things you listed as your treasures. How do you show God more love than the things on your list?
- Think of the current goals you have for your life. How will they bring you closer to God? Or will they help drive a wedge between you?
- God wants us to have goals for our lives. He doesn’t want us to let life pass us by while we sit on the couch. But there are goals that will bring us closer to God and goals that might drive us further away. Pray about what you want for the coming year and ask God to align your heart with His will for you. Ask Him to make your treasure what He wants for you, and it will be lasting treasure!
The Ultimate Treasure
Our treasures change over time. This isn’t a once in a lifetime evaluation. The things that I am passionate about and most enjoy aren’t the same as they were 10 years ago. They aren’t even the same as they were 1 year ago. We need to reevaluate as we go through this journey we call life, to make sure we stay on the path God has for us.
Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.” Matthew 22:37-38 NLT
Loving God is God’s ultimate goal for us. It is the number one thing He wants for our lives. If you have no idea what else God wants for you, focus on loving God and everything else will fall into place.
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Matthew 6:33 NLT
For Those with Families
If you have children at home, I challenge you to go through this activity with them. Imagine the impact it could have on someone to learn at a young age to examine their heart and treasure, to make sure they are on the path God wants for them. Parents, I pray God blesses you as you set godly goals that will impact your whole family. Consider working with your children to set a goal for your family this year! (Ours is to work on kind voices at all times!)
I look forward to seeing you tomorrow as we continue talking about how to love God with all of our hearts. Happy Goal Setting!
What goals have you set to honor God this year? Are there any goals or treasures that you need to let go?
Don’t forget to join me (@MinivanMin) on Periscope, Tuesday, January 5th a 8pm central time for our first 2016 Periscope Book Brigade! We will be focussing on laying aside the treasure of food and start loving God with all our strength. We will be using the Trim Healthy Mama Plan: The Easy-Does-It Approach to Vibrant Health and a Slim Waistline as a tool for success!
*This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking them to make a purchase, it supports Minivan Ministries without any extra cost to you. It’s a win-win situation! Thanks a million!