In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1 ESV
Isn’t it great when you stumble upon something that is truly amazing? Something that you not only enjoy, but something that enlightens you too? This happened to me not too long ago. Our family started studying creation science with Answers Bible Curriculum by Answers in Genesis. We were all learning new things. I interrupted our lessons with cries of “Oooh! I never knew that!” or “ I have always wondered about that.” It’s exciting when a Bible story you have heard all your life becomes fresh again.It’s exciting when a Bible story you have heard all your life becomes fresh again. Click To Tweet
I’m sad to admit that the Answers Bible Curriculum for Kids [With CD (Audio) and DVD ROM] book had actually been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. The concept of learning about Creation vs. Evolution intrigued me, but the size of the book and several page lessons seemed daunting. When I picked it up and skimmed through it to see how it would work, I realized it was actually pretty easy.
- The book is divided into 30 lessons. Each lesson gives a brief review of past lessons and then dives into a narrow topic. It teaches the concept pretty thoroughly. The lessons seemed a bit long the first couple of times we did them, but once we all got into the swing of things, they started going much faster. It usually took us about 30 minutes to go through a lesson. That is mainly because we were fascinated and stopped to really discuss the concepts.
- The words you need to say are in bold print, so it’s pretty easy to teach. Just open and go! The lessons are actually designed to be taught in a group, so you may want to change a few words here and there. Beside the bold words is a little more explanation for the teacher. In some spots there are references to the website where adults can go to gain even deeper understanding.
- There was a CD rom with several pictures coordinating with each lesson. Most were done a fun cartoon style. They really drove the information home for our visual learners.
- There was a music CD with it to reinforce the concepts, sung in a style similar to the old country music of Johnny Cash. I was pleasantly surprised how catchy and enjoyable it was. The songs have been stuck in my head more than a few times.
- There are also pages in the back of the book to rip out and create a student book. The student book was done in a cartoon style. It summarized the concepts studied in each lesson and had fun review activities.
During our studies, we learned about creation science topics such as the true age of the earth (I was amazed at how specific they were!), scientific evidence of the flood, carbon dating, horizontal evolution, dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible, what real cavemen and the real ice age were like, and more. Though many scoff at young-earth beliefs, there really was a lot of solid science packed in here too! I highly recommend this book!
Cornerstone Geology KitsCheck out these Cornerstone Geology Kits with an amazing creation-based timeline. Click To Tweet
A wonderful creation science tool to supplement this curriculum was a Cornerstone Geology Kit. Kits are full of rocks and fossils from various time periods. Kids love rocks and fossils! The REALLY awesome thing is that there is a time line included that shows how the time line accepted by most scientists of the world relates to the young earth timeline. There are so many times we hear about something being millions of years old and we point out to our children that that is not actually the truth. The frustrating part was that, until now, I had no way of telling them how old it was. (At least no simple way!) This timeline gives us answers. The children could look at these rocks and fossils and figure out how old the world says they are, compared to how old God tells us they are.
If You Aren’t Sure About A Young Earth
If you come to this post and aren’t sure what you believe about a young earth instead of evolution, or even if God was talking about 24 hour days in Genesis, I ask you to consider the evidence with an open mind. Answers Bible Curriculum for Kids [With CD (Audio) and DVD ROM] gave lots of scientific evidence, but all the Answers in Genesis books provide great information. A trip to the Creation Museum is what really convinced us several years ago. Before that, we weren’t really sure. If you get the opportunity to visit, you definitely should.
Do you believe in a young earth? What are your favorite Bible and science resources?
*This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking them to make a purchase, it supports Minivan Ministries without any extra cost to you. It’s a win-win situation! Thanks a million!