I have provided a basic outline, not a word-for-word format, because your children will enjoy hearing things from your perspective. Their answers and understanding will dictate how deep your conversations go and what direction they will take. Have fun!
Intro: We can plant seeds, water them, and hope they will grow. The rest is up to God. If He doesn’t bring the sunshine and nourish the seeds, it is all in vain. Today we will celebrate God as the Lord of the Harvest. Every good gift comes from Him. To God be the glory for everything we have!We can plant seeds, water them, and hope they will grow. The rest is up to God. Click To Tweet
Thoughts to Ponder: How do you think farmers feel at harvest time? How do you feel when you finally get something you have been waiting for? Do you think God had a hand in helping give those good things to you? God really is the Lord of the Harvest.
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of his creatures.” James 1:16-18 ESV
- What are some things that God gives us?
- Does God give us things we want, things we need, or both?
- Did you know that it brings God joy to give things to you?
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:11 ESV
What is one thing that you would like to ask God for? Pray a prayer of supplication, knowing that God loves to give you good gifts! He is Lord of the Harvest, in charge of every good thing that we get. He may not always answer immediately, but good things are definitely in the works!
Check out “Harvest Somba” for a cute harvest-themed kids worship song.
I also love Steven Curtis Chapman’s “Lord of the Dance” for an older audience. Though it doesn’t directly talk about harvest, it has the same sentiment.
I move my feet. I go through the motions, but You give purpose to chance. I am the dancer. You are the Lord of the Dance.” Lord of the Dance by Steven Curtis Chapman
Prayer: Thank God for all the good things He has given you. Recognize some ways that you depend on Him and thank God.
- Enjoy a harvest meal together, focussing on seasonal fruits and vegetables that God has blessed you with. Pause to say a prayer of thanks for the nourishment (and tastiness!) He provides.
- Study the life cycle of a pumpkin or apple. Talk about the faithfulness a farmer must have to tend to his crops through the entire process, even when finished product seems so far away. He must have faith that God will bless his efforts. Then go pumpkin or apple picking.
Spread the Love:
- Make a Fall Harvest Box for Meals on Wheels or a local food bank.
- Bake an apple or pumpkin pie for a friend, neighbor, or someone who could use encouragment.
- Check out the harvest-inspired ideas on my Fall Pinterest Board.
Check out other family Bible Adventures here!
Please share your harvest adventure thoughts below…